Dental Bridges in Edmonton
If you have several missing teeth, it is vital that you address the gaps promptly as it can cause misalignment amongst remaining teeth. Dental bridges are an ideal, non-removable solution to filling such gaps. They are attached to the teeth adjacent to gaps, retaining them in their proper position.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges provide numerous benefits, including:
- Preventing teeth from shifting out of place
- Restoring your bite functionality by replacing lost teeth that were once essential to a proper bite
- Bettering the health of your bite by distributing the force equally
- Boosting your self-confidence and enhancing your smile
Importance of Dental Bridges
If you fail to address a missing tooth, the open space can cause a rapid deterioration of your oral health. Problems that may arise include:
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing due to a loss of biting surface
- Shifting of the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth
- Misalignment of the temporomandibular joint, resulting in temporomandibular joint disorder
The Dental Bridge Procedure
If it is determined that you are a candidate for dental bridges upon examination of your gums and teeth, a local anesthetic is applied so the teeth can be prepared to support the dental bridge.
Next, using a putty material, an impression of the prepared teeth is made. This impression is sent to a skilled, lab technician who will fabricate a precise bridge that will fit appropriately. During this time, we will provide you with a temporary bridge to protect your teeth and gum from damage in the interim.
Once completed, you return to have the bridge bonded or cemented to your teeth.
Drawbacks of Dental Bridges
For most patients missing several teeth, dental bridges are ideal solutions for tooth replacement. However, there are limitations, including:
- Modifications are required to adjacent teeth. If the support teeth are severely decayed or broken, they must be restored in order for the bridge to be applied
- If the tooth root is damaged, then dental implants can be placed to support a bridge
- Occasionally, dental bridges fail to maintain proper jaw alignment
- The space between the missing teeth is too wide
- The adjacent teeth are not parallel to each other due to previous drifting. They can be moved to a more ideal position with orthodontics
If you have or are considering dental bridges, it is vital to maintain pristine oral hygiene and return for regular checkups to ensure the longevity of your bridges.
To learn more about tooth replacement options, including dental bridges, please contact our Edmonton, Alberta dental office today to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Christine Fialka-Eshenko.
New Patients Welcome
Your initial consultation will be highly individualized and designed to provide you with an overview of your dental options and answer any questions you might have.
We provide general dentistry services to meet hygienic and preventative needs. Visit twice a year for cleanings and oral cancer screenings to ensure optimal oral health.
Suffering from chronic jaw pain can be painful, but we can help. Find relief from TMD and TMJ with the help of an experienced, neuromuscular dentist.
By combining the science of dentistry with the artistry of modern, surgical techniques, cosmetic dentistry services can provide you with the smile you have always dreamed of.
Connect with us online!
Stay up to date with all the office news and
promotions and offers by connecting wih us online.